England has been home to some of the biggest football teams in the world. The English football leagues are watched around the world by millions of fans. English football has had a lot of teams that have been successful for multiple years. Certain clubs have been very consistent over the years. In this article, we will have a look at some of the most successful English clubs of all time.
Below you can see the most successful English clubs of all time., with at least one league title in English history ranked by the major honours they have claimed.
* Teams only included in ranking if they have won at least one league title. Major honours counted as season-long competitions (Charity/Community Shield and UEFA Super Cup not included), and no one-off competitions tallied towards total. European trophies include: European Cup/Champions League, Cup Winners’ Cup, UEFA Cup/Europa League and Inter-Cities Fairs Cup. Only top flight league titles are counted as major honours.
– 24 trophies – League x6, FA Cup x8, League Cup x5, European Cup x1, Cup Winners’ Cup x2, UEFA Cup/Europa League x2
In contrast, Chelsea are a team that have only recently started winning titles, but they have more than made up for it by catching up to the top teams. Chelsea have six league titles to their name and one Champions League title.
However, they have been ever-present in European competitions, winning two UEFA Cup/Europa League trophies and two Cup Winner’s Cup titles too, to take their tally to 24.
– 30 trophies – League x13, FA Cup x13, League Cup x2, Inter-Cities Fairs Cup x1, European Cup Winners’ Cup x1
Arsenal are one of the top three clubs in England that have consistently been at the top since they were promoted to the First Division. Although the Gunners are now nowhere near winning the league, they still manage to win an FA Cup every now and then.
Arsenal have 13 league titles and FA Cups, along with the two European cups they have, their total trophy count is 30.
2. Manchester United
– 42 trophies – League x20, FA Cup x12, League Cup x5, European Cup x3, Cup Winners’ Cup x1, UEFA Cup/Europa League x1
It was not too long ago that Manchester United were fighting for the league title every season, but since the departure of Sir Alex Ferguson, they have been floundering about, but that has not stopped them from winning other trophies, more recently being the FA Cup and the Europa League.
Their tally of 20 league titles is the highest in England and they are second in terms of total trophies won – at 42.
– 43 trophies – League x19, League Cup x8, FA Cup x7, European Cup x6, UEFA Cup/Europa League x3
The title triumph means Liverpool can lay claim to being the most trophy-laden club in English football – above Manchester United. While Liverpool’s 19th title still leaves them one shy of United’s tally, they now hold a bigger trophy haul over their English rivals.
Along with their league title successes, Liverpool have won seven FA Cups, eight League Cups, six European Cups and three ‘other’ European trophies. Liverpool’s 43-trophy haul puts them one clear of Manchester United, who have won fewer League Cups and European Cups.