England has been home to some of the biggest football teams in the world. The English football leagues are watched around the world by millions of fans. English football has had a lot of teams that have been successful for multiple years. Certain clubs have been very consistent over the years. In this article, we will have a look at some of the most successful English clubs of all time.
Below you can see the most successful English clubs of all time., with at least one league title in English history ranked by the major honours they have claimed.
* Teams only included in ranking if they have won at least one league title. Major honours counted as season-long competitions (Charity/Community Shield and UEFA Super Cup not included), and no one-off competitions tallied towards total. European trophies include: European Cup/Champions League, Cup Winners’ Cup, UEFA Cup/Europa League and Inter-Cities Fairs Cup. Only top flight league titles are counted as major honours.
10. Blackburn Rovers
– Ten trophies – League x3, League Cup x1, FA Cup x6
Blackburn Rovers was established in 1875, becoming a founding member of The Football League in 1888 and the Premier League in 1992. They have been English champions three times, and have won six FA Cups, one Football League Cup and one Full Members’ Cup.
9. Newcastle United
– 11 trophies – League x4, FA Cup x6, Inter-Cities Fairs Cup x1
Newcastle United has some of the best fans in the country. Their stadium St. James’ park is always buzzing on a matchday. Newcastle has won 4 League titles, 6 FA Cups, and a Charity Shield, as well as the 1969 Inter-Cities Fairs Cup and the 2006 UEFA Intertoto Cup, the ninth highest total of trophies won by an English club.
– 15 trophies – League x9, FA Cup x5, European Cup Winners’ Cup x1
Everton is one of the biggest football clubs in England. The club has competed in the top division for a record 116 seasons, missing only four top-flight seasons (1930–31, 1951–52, 1952-53, 1953-54) since the creation of the Football League.
Their trophies include won nine League Championships, five FA Cups and one UEFA Cup Winners Cup. They are one of the most successful English clubs of all time.
7. Tottenham Hotspur
– 17 major trophies – League x2, FA Cup x8, League Cup x4, European Cup Winners’ Cup x1, UEFA Cup x2
Though Tottenham has never won the English Premier League, thay are still one of the most successful English clubs of all time. They have won 8 FA cup titles, 4 League Cup titles and 2 League titles. They also won the UEFA Cup Winners Cup and the UEFA Cup, both on one occasion, bringing their wins to 17.
=5. Manchester City
– 20 trophies – League x6, FA Cup x6, League Cup x7, European Cup Winners’ Cup x1
Manchester City are undoubtedly one of the best teams currently in the league now. The team had a terrific 2018/19 season which saw them emerge as the first and only EPL team to have earned a domestic treble and also accumulated as much as 100 points in a season.
Manchester City has not seen similar success in continental football as they consistently keep pushing for a European title. They have won 20 trophies which include 6 League titles, 7 League Cups, 6 FA Cup as well as One European Cup Winners’ Cup.
=5. Aston Villa
– 20 trophies – League x7, FA Cup x7, League Cup x5, European Cup x1
Aston Villa may have fallen by the wayside in the last decade or so, but they were one of the first teams to be winning league titles and domestic cups.
They have as many as seven first division league titles and FA Cups and a European Cup to boot. With a total 20 trophies in their history, not counting the second and third division titles, they are the fifth most successful English club.